Monday, January 19, 2009

Welcome Home!

Samantha Elaine Cabot decided to join us on January 8, 2009, at 5:32 p.m. at Paoli Hospital. She was due on the 11th, but I knew based on what my body was doing that week that she would be here a few days before her due date. I was pretty sure that she was coming when I started having regular contractions at about 2:00 in the morning. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, and I kept wondering if what I was feeling was the real deal, until about 2:00 when they started to come every five minutes. I waited to wake up Alex until 3:00- I wanted to let him get some sleep in case it was a false alarm and he would have to go into the office. We called the doctor and they told us to come in.

I was only 1 cm. dilated but 80% effaced with contractions every 2 minutes. Then they made me walk around for an hour and forty minutes to see if my cervix would change. We felt like we were homeless because they were cleaning rooms during that time- it was a busy night at Paoli- and figuring out where they would put us. When they checked me again I had almost no cervix left. My contractions were wicked while I walked but slowed down while I was being checked, due to the relief off my pelvis. I thought if I get sent home I will scream because I know that I will be back before I even make it to the car in the parking deck. They made me walk again for an hour. Those contractions came back and stayed strong when they were checking me again. I was so relieved that my cervix had dilated to a 3. After that, they broke my water, which gave me hard contractions. They told me to hold off for a while on the epidural, as it can cause contractions to slow a bit and lengthen labor. I watched some T.V. until I couldn't take it, and then rang for my drugs. What a marvelous invention! With the epidural and petosin, I relaxed, took a nap, and then just waited while they came to check me very so often. Alex watched the little wave machine that shows contractions and would ask me if I knew that I just had a monster contraction, and of course, I said that I had no idea. Praise the brilliant women from Philadelphia who invented the epidural!

I did get anxious when I realized it would be time to push. Fortunately, she was so low that I only pushed for 20-25 minutes!! I was completely at a loss for words when I met Samantha. I was not at a loss for words, however, about the recovery pain... I will spare you those thoughts. Enjoy some pictures instead!

Proud Daddy with Sam



She loves to smile after I nurse her in the morning.

























Here are some nursery shots. One day there will actually be pictures in those frames.





























Trying to sleep, I spend a lot of time in this chair. This was a great investment.

















5 comments:

Em said...

The nursery looks awesome! (I never got to do the bringing baby home to a nested nursery thing, so I'm jealous)
Enjoy every minute (despite the pain and sleep deprivation...)!!

Jenna said...

I have never seen a cuter nursery in all my life!!! I'm so sorry I haven't made it over there yet! I will call you sometime this week!!

Chantelle said...

Congrats Patty and Alex! Samantha is a gorgeous girl and it sounds like she was easy on you in the birthing process. Good girl! Now if only she would catch on to sleeping ;)

Brock and Tyra said...

OHHHHH! Congratulations guys!!! What a beauty!

You two will make fine parents, I'm sure!

Recovery stinks on the first baby, but it gets MUCH better. You'll have to have LOTS of kids to find out for yourself :) Congrats again!

em said...

I never hopped over here to say CONGRATS!! She's so cute! And the nursery is gorgeous--you're so on top of it. Nicely done.

How are you adjusting? I hope she's as sweet as she looks--so fun.